Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Training the pup

A couple of weeks ago [I am so bad at journaling] Lora and I put Jill on sheep in the round pen. I really didn't have a clue what I was doing and was so enamored of watching my dog, that I forgot about the sheep part.  Thank Goodness for Lora, who stepped in and showed me what I was supposed to be doing.

Jill was keen and interested. When she came in, we'd correct her with the flag stick. She takes corrections very well, at least so far. Now this is only her second time on sheep, so we will just take it easy. The goal of this lesson was to teach me how to train a pup - right Lora? I felt like I had 3 left feet and no brain.

Every week, after Beau has his lesson, Jill and I go for a walk-about, check stock tanks, sweep up old hay or just whatever I can do to just hang around the farm and get Jill used to being there. The idea being that it's no big deal, we're not working sheep, just hanging out and we can just chill while we do our chores.  It seems to be working. Last week was perfect. She had interest, but not a desire to go rush at the sheep, which she did the first few times.

We go on vacation next week. Jill will be with her sis Gyp and Mom, Nell. It will be good for her to get some time with Border Collies. I think she's got an identity crisis living with 2 very vocal Cardigan Corgis. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment