Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Spinning - but not in circles!

Spinning.  I almost gave it up. Then I watched Judith MacKenzie's "Popular Wheel Mechanics" and I fell in love again.  She has a gentle way of instruction, and explained many things that I didn't know. I've started over as if I were brand new to spinning.  Now I relish the thought of the fleece slipping through my fingers, the soft whrrr of the wheel, changing tensions to create the thickness of yarn I want.  And for the first time, I've managed to do a 3-ply. It's a bit chunky, but it's beautiful.

I'm looking forward with anticipation to creating a fine lace homespun for a shawl, or my very own sock yarn.  Currently, I'm spinning up some fleece from the Canby fair - Shetland with a bit of Angora. It's a bit soft (not as soft as Yak or Alpaca) and has some nubblies, which at first I didn't like, but now I'm realizing that it will make a nice heather yarn.  My singles are now consistent and fine. With this fleece I'm using the Hanson Mini e-spinner.
Single on the bobbin

Shetland fleece

No comments:

Post a Comment