Monday, May 2, 2011

Zen Knitting

Well, I don't know what it is about me and knitting, but it seems that my work always ends up in new homes.  I don't know how many pairs of my hand knit socks have found their way into a friends hands - or feet as it were.  It appears that my socks have a soul of their own. They simply don't belong to me, and are just waiting for the right owner.

This happens with my hats, scarves and mittens, as well. On my way down to KFalls to a weekend sheep dog clinic, I had decided to make a hat for myself out of my newly spun wool. Mind you, it wasn't the greatest wool of all times, but I did spin it beautifully.  As I knit I kept thinking about my new dog and how we are developing our relationship in the herding world; what I wanted from her; how I wanted to be as a shepherdess; and where she and I were going in this new journey. So, all good thoughts and hopes were knit into this warm, wooly hat.  I finished it that night, but it was too big. When I returned home, I promptly put it in the wash to felt it down a bit, and laid it out to dry.  Alas, it was then just a bit too small - I hadn't knit the top long enough.

This past weekend I went to another sheep clinic where my good friend Denise and her new pup were going to work together as a team for the first time. Denise is new at working sheep and has been letting our trainer work her.  When she saw me, she admired my hat; said she needed to get a hat, because her head was always cold.  I promptly put the hat on her head - IT FIT! I guess it's your's, Denise. I told her about all the love, hopes and dreams that were knit in every stitch. Sunday she worked her dog, with her Zen hat, and she was fantastic! 

What can I say - I'm a Zen knitter. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment